Thursday 1 March 2012

Product Overview: Foundations

An overview of all of my foundations; which ones you need and which ones I could do without!



I really like trying different foundations, and like to accumulate a lot at the same time in order to find my ideal foundation. These are all from the drugstore (the Love & Beauty being the exception) because I can't justify spending 30-40 dollars on something I'll need to re-purchase every three months. Though that doesn't mean I don't lust over the foundations at Sephora!


I guess I'll start off with my favourite foundation at the moment. You may recognize it from my February Favourites!


Rimmel Lasting Finish Foundation in 103 True Ivory
This foundation claims to last 25 hours (though I would never be in the situation to question that) and that it's sweat, heat and humidity proof. I can definitely vouch for that! It's formula is very thick, and when you blend it in you can feel it adhering to your skin. It also claims to be transfer resistant, which means that if you touch your face frequently it won't come off, and it is also true.


I would recommend using your fingers to apply this because its consistency absorbs into brush bristles fairy easily.


The colour I have, True Ivory (103), is a great median between cool and warm tones. Instead of being too yellow or too red, it's more of a beige. It's also an almost matte finish, so you may want to consider this foundation if you have oily skin.


Love & Beauty Flawless Foundation in Ivory
This next foundation was an impulse buy. While in Forever 21 a few months back, this foundation caught my eye. It was $6, so I thought I might as well try it out. It's from F21's makeup line, Love & Beauty. I purchased it in the Ivory shade, which is the lightest in the three colour range. (Yes, only three colours. Not a lot to choose from!)


This foundation smells amazing. I don't know how to describe it, but it just smells... fresh. The formula is a bit on the watery side, but it's very easy to work with. You just have to be careful that it doesn't look streaky!


Love & Beauty Flawless Foundation in Ivory
It also has a pump applicator, which is a luxury compared to some drugstore foundations that don't have one at all! This foundation's lasting capability didn't 'wow' me, but the colour was actually a great match for my complexion. You don't particularly need this foundation, but you should try it if you're as curious about it as I was!


Maybelline Fit Me Foundation in 115 Ivory
This is probably my least favourite out of all my foundations. First of all, it doesn't have an applicator of any sort, which can lead wasted product and messes. It also smells like sunscreen, which I don't find too appealing.


This foundation is far too watery for me, and leaves my skin feeling greasy throughout the day. I prefer foundations that don't require touch-ups as time goes by. It's also quite streaky no matter what you use to apply it; fingers, brushes, etc.


I find that this line of foundations comes in a variety of colours, so you can find a shade relatively close to your skin tone. If you have dry skin, this product may be good for you but I would pass it if you have oily skin.

Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse in Light 4 - Nude
Moving on to cream foundations; I love mousse formulas because they leave a matte finish to the skin. This particular foundation is Maybelline's Dream Matte Mousse in Nude.


I really love this foundation, though I picked it up in the wrong shade. The one I have is a shade too dark and would be ideal for in the summer when I have a tan.


Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse in Light 4 - Nude ( It's a lot lighter in person)
The formula of this product is great; you can blend it easily into your skin and it gives just enough coverage to even out your complexion. You can also build it up in order to hide problems areas on your skin, though I would go back in with a concealer for maximum coverage.


I'm not sure if Maybelline is replacing this product with their new aerosol mousse foundation, so definitely pick this up quickly because the aerosol one is a rip off!


Last but not least, My favourite foundation of all time.


L'Oreal Magic Smooth Souffle in 512 - Classic Ivory
This is the second pot of this product that I have purchased--this one being from the end of July. As you can see, I'm almost out but I'm hesitant to purchase another one because of the price (almost twenty canadian dollars!). I feel like you pay more for the glass packaging than the actual product.


L'Oreal Magic Smooth Souffle in 512 - Classic Ivory (Looks darker in the picture than in real life)
I just.. I don't know how to describe how awesome this is. It's exactly like the Maybelline mousse foundation but it lasts longer, especially with a primer. I apply this with a brush, and you can tell when you've applied too much because it pills on your face; kind of like a little reminder to blend it in!


Give this foundation a try, and you might love it as much as I do!



I use this CoverGirl loose powder to set my liquid foundations. I accidentally ripped off the sticker, so I have no idea what the name or colour it is. To give you an idea of the colour, it's the lightest shade but not the completely translucent one.




It also comes with a little puff which I use to buff the powder into my skin.


If you prefer pressed powder, I was using a Clinique one that I really recommend. I stopped using it because once you hit pan, it starts to crack and product falls out every time you open it from there-on out. 


I hope you've enjoyed this post, and congrats if you made it this far!
Please leave your favourite foundation in the comments so I can check it out!


- Tess xx

No comments:

Post a Comment